Background: Numerous individual and organizational factors can influence the spread of SARS-CoV-2 infection in Long Term Care Facilities (LTCFs). A range of outbreak control measures are still implemented in most facilities involving administrations, staff, residents and their families. This study aims to evaluate which measure could influence the transmission of SARS-CoV-2 infection among residents during the period March 2021-June 2022. Methods: We enrolled 3,272 residents aged ≥ 60 years. The outbreak control measures adopted to prevent or manage the infection included entry regulations, contact-regulating procedures, and virological surveillance of residents and staff. The association between LTCFs’ and participants’ characteristics with new cases of COVID-19 infections was analyzed using multilevel logistic regression models. Results: In 33.8% of the facilities 261 cases of SARS-CoV-2 infection were reported. Among participant characteristics, gender and age were not associated with SARS-CoV-2 infection, while having received the vaccine booster dose was protective against infection [Odds Ratio (OR) = 0.34, 95% Confidence Interval (CI) 0.12–0.99, p = 0.048]. In addition, the implementation of protected areas for family visits was associated with a significant reduction of the probability of infections (OR = 0.18, 95% CI 0.03–0.98, p = 0.047). Overall, about 66% of the variability in the probability of SARS-CoV-2 infection during the observational period may be due to facility structure characteristics and 34% to the participant characteristics. Conclusions: These data showed that vaccination booster doses and family visit restriction-control are still needed to make the LTCFs safer against SARS-CoV-2 infection.

Efficacy of COVID-19 control measures on post-vaccination outbreak in Italian Long Term Care Facilities: implications for policies / Malara, Alba; Noale, Marianna; Trevisan, Caterina; Abbatecola, Angela Marie; Borselli, Gilda; Cafariello, Carmine; Gareri, Pietro; Fumagalli, Stefano; Mossello, Enrico; Volpato, Stefano; Monzani, Fabio; Coin, Alessandra; Okoye, Chukwuma; Bellelli, Giuseppe; Del Signore, Stefania; Zia, Gianluca; Antonelli Incalzi, Raffaele; Palmieri, Annapina; Fedele, Giorgio; Onder, Graziano. - In: FRONTIERS IN PUBLIC HEALTH. - ISSN 2296-2565. - ELETTRONICO. - 11:(2023), pp. 1-9. [10.3389/fpubh.2023.1091974]

Efficacy of COVID-19 control measures on post-vaccination outbreak in Italian Long Term Care Facilities: implications for policies

Fumagalli, Stefano;Mossello, Enrico;
2023

Abstract

Background: Numerous individual and organizational factors can influence the spread of SARS-CoV-2 infection in Long Term Care Facilities (LTCFs). A range of outbreak control measures are still implemented in most facilities involving administrations, staff, residents and their families. This study aims to evaluate which measure could influence the transmission of SARS-CoV-2 infection among residents during the period March 2021-June 2022. Methods: We enrolled 3,272 residents aged ≥ 60 years. The outbreak control measures adopted to prevent or manage the infection included entry regulations, contact-regulating procedures, and virological surveillance of residents and staff. The association between LTCFs’ and participants’ characteristics with new cases of COVID-19 infections was analyzed using multilevel logistic regression models. Results: In 33.8% of the facilities 261 cases of SARS-CoV-2 infection were reported. Among participant characteristics, gender and age were not associated with SARS-CoV-2 infection, while having received the vaccine booster dose was protective against infection [Odds Ratio (OR) = 0.34, 95% Confidence Interval (CI) 0.12–0.99, p = 0.048]. In addition, the implementation of protected areas for family visits was associated with a significant reduction of the probability of infections (OR = 0.18, 95% CI 0.03–0.98, p = 0.047). Overall, about 66% of the variability in the probability of SARS-CoV-2 infection during the observational period may be due to facility structure characteristics and 34% to the participant characteristics. Conclusions: These data showed that vaccination booster doses and family visit restriction-control are still needed to make the LTCFs safer against SARS-CoV-2 infection.
2023
11
1
9
Goal 3: Good health and well-being
Malara, Alba; Noale, Marianna; Trevisan, Caterina; Abbatecola, Angela Marie; Borselli, Gilda; Cafariello, Carmine; Gareri, Pietro; Fumagalli, Stefano; Mossello, Enrico; Volpato, Stefano; Monzani, Fabio; Coin, Alessandra; Okoye, Chukwuma; Bellelli, Giuseppe; Del Signore, Stefania; Zia, Gianluca; Antonelli Incalzi, Raffaele; Palmieri, Annapina; Fedele, Giorgio; Onder, Graziano
File in questo prodotto:
File Dimensione Formato  
Malara_fpubh-COVID-19_Post_Vaccination_2023.pdf

accesso aperto

Tipologia: Pdf editoriale (Version of record)
Licenza: Open Access
Dimensione 175.03 kB
Formato Adobe PDF
175.03 kB Adobe PDF

I documenti in FLORE sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificatore per citare o creare un link a questa risorsa: https://hdl.handle.net/2158/1314991
Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? ND
  • Scopus 2
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? 2
social impact